Your guide to post-Brexit travel

Your guide to post-Brexit travel

Your guide to post-Brexit travel

With the UK having left the European Union on 31st December 2020, we’ve updated our Brexit travel guidance to give you access to the latest information on visiting Europe.

For the latest advice, use the Government's Brexit Checker

As you’re no doubt aware, from the start of 2021, travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein changed and there are some things you’ll need to take into consideration when planning and booking your travel.

You will be able to travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. That said, from November 2023, travellers to the Schengen area will be required to obtain an ETIAS visa waiver, an electronic system similar to that operated by the USA.

As with all things at the moment, details can change at short notice. With that in mind, we recommend you visit the government website dedicated to post-Brexit travel for the most up-to-date information.

When travelling to the EU for business, there are also other factors which you’ll need to take into account. These include:

In addition, you’ll also need to consider:

  • Passport validity – you’ll need at least 3 months validity on your passport from the date you leave your EU destination, and for it to be less than 10 years old on the day of travel. If you renewed your current passport before its previous expiry date, you may have been granted extra months on top of the usual 10-year validity. These additional months may not count towards the minimum 3 months needed. You can check if your passport meets the requirements here
  • Travel insuranceEHIC health cards will remain valid for use in EU member states up to their expiry date. However, from 1st January 2021, they will no no longer be excepted in Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Lichtenstein. When your EHIC card expires, you will be able to apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). We recommend you obtain adequate travel insurance prior to travel to all destinations. 
  • Driving documents – you will be able to drive in Europe with your UK driving licence and will not require an international driving permit, unless  you have an old-style paper licence or your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man. You must, however, display a 'UK' car sticker when driving in the EU (except Ireland) and the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) -  note the new 'UK' sticker has replaced the former 'GB' sticker. You no longer require an insurance 'green card' to guarantee adequate third-party cover when driving in the EU and EEA, as well as Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland. Your UK insurer will now automatically provide third-party cover when driving in these regions.
  • Passport lanes – UK passport holders will no longer be able to use EU-designated immigration lanes, unless otherwise indicated on arrival.
  • Travel for pets – You must contact your vet at least 4 months before travel.
  • Food & drink – Travellers will no longer be able to take some food and drink into EU countries. See the EU Commission website for details.

You can also find out more information on post-Brexit travel, based on your own circumstances, by using the government's informaion pages here

For more in-depth analysis, read the Business Travel Association's Business Travel Brexit Briefing

More News & Insights